Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Farmers and the Cowboys can be Friends...

 For some strange reason, this song always pops into my head (that and the fitting, "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair"!). Yes, I loved singing along to Rogers and Hammerstein when I was younger, who didn't! I remember when my family were driving down from Scotland to Spain for our summer when I was about 10. My brother and I got to check-out some tapes from the local library (yes, you can do that!) for the long journey. My brother had a single, Guns N' Roses, Knockin' On Heavens Door (a single...!!!) and I had two whole tapes: Kylie and The Sound of Music. Oh the joys of road trips!!

Anyhow- totally off track.

I was on a boda this afternoon, heading for my run (yes, running to my run would be too much hard work today!) and I saw an Asian-Ugandan come out of one of the local schools, this is not really the norm. So I was there, on my boda, as I then passed a camel in Bukoto (!) and was thinking of the Asian-Ugandans and the Ugandans living together. The song then popped into my head.

Amin threw out Asians (Indians) in 1972, after spreading Indophobia, to hand control of Uganda to Ugandans. The returned Asian-Ugandans (allowed to claim land/assets in 1990 after their expulsion) seem to have come back with (some) little money, but land and/or assets. They may not have been rich in the country they fled too but many now run thriving businesses here in Kampala; shops, banks, restaurants etc One well known Asian-Ugandan will proudly tell you he was a London taxi driver when his family fled Uganda and he now owns one third on Kampala (we all know who that is...). I was just thinking, though, about whether the Farmers and the Cowboys can really be friends?

Then I got off my boda, noticed my toe was nearly sticking out of my trainer and headed for the treadmill.

Juneathon Day 1
I have a really sore thigh today-I really think the pole dancing (!) on Saturday night is to blame! But since it is only Day 1 of Juneathon I was determined to do SOMETHING. So I ran (an embarrassing 3 km-I detest treadmills, sooo boring) and hung out in the gym doing sit-ups, arm thingys and texting people. I have now spent 15 minutes of my evening trying to see if I can get this info logged int my profile...an realised I should have worn my Garmin. Sometimes I hate technology! It is a start- hoping Day 2 will be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment-it is always nice to hear from you!